04 August 2009

Mistaken Identity

So, Sydney has never seen a squirrel, since she was born in Utah and the place seems to be devoid of squirrels. This morning, in our new apartment, we were watching them play outside our window. I had been identifying them to her, you know, "Look, Sydney, squirrels." Next thing I know, she is telling me about the "monkeys" in the tree.

Then, earlier this evening, we went for a walk on the UNL east campus grounds. We were showing her the bunnies (which are apparently terribly frightening...sorry Chels) and the birds and then we saw some more squirrels. Sydney immediately identifies them as "bunnies", then "birds", and finally as "cats." So we tried to teach her the word squirrel. I guess we'll see if it sticks.

1 comment:

Brooklyn said...

LOL. I love it. Please let me know if she ever calls them "shark" or "snake," because then it will be like I was inspiring her.