01 November 2010

Getting there.


So, these past few months have been a little difficult.

September started and I just felt awful.  I was tired all the time and I had no appetite.  So, we decided to get some testing done.

Picture11346

The results were definitely favorable.

I was sick, like I was with Sydney.  I had horrible food aversions right away and by the time I saw my doctor for the first time(three weeks after the positive test), I had already lost a few pounds.

Being sick prevented me from being able to function like normal.  Poor Charles had to take over all of the cooking, cleaning and pretty much everything I usually do.  And we had to tell Sydney much sooner than we planned, since I was throwing up and she was getting concerned.

Three more weeks and by now I was so sick that I had to go in and get an iv due to vomiting, weight loss (almost ten pounds now) and dehydration.  Ironically, three liters of water will make you gain at least six pounds in one day--not my favorite thing.

But, when I went in for my first trimester ultrasound, all they could see was a gestational sac measuring about six and half weeks along...which was devastating considering I should have been between ten and eleven.  But, I was defiantly pregnant and the doctor's office scheduled another ultrasound and told me to be optimistic, especially since I still felt really sick.

And then, last Wednesday, I had my second ultrasound....and nothing had changed.  They couldn't see any growth in the past ten days and it was determined that I had miscarried some time ago.

Thankfully, I have a pretty great doctor and we were able to get a D&C scheduled for the next morning.  We (Charles had come with me...he usually comes to all of my doctor appointments) came home and contacted my parents to have them watch Sydney.  Then came the really hard part of telling Sydney.  That broke our hearts, especially since she was so excited about having a baby brother or sister.  Although, being able to go to Grandma and Tata's house made it much easier for her.

I promised myself that this wouldn't be too long, so suffice it to say that I'm no longer pregnant and we're slowly getting back to our normal life.  I do have to say that Bryan LGH is a pretty amazing hospital system and, despite the reason we were there, we had a good experience during my surgery and recovery.  And we have amazing friends and family who have been incredibly supportive and helpful. And thanks to our faith, we're in a lot better state of mind than we could be. We are doing well...although I start crying anytime someone asks me if we need anything and this was probably the most depressing Halloween we have ever had.  But, the worst is past and hopefully, sometime next year, we'll have even better news that will make this seem much less depressing.

6 comments:

The Stultz Family said...

Valerie,

I'm so sorry to read this. I had a bad feeling when I saw a few of Charles' recent Facebook posts. You all are in my prayers.

Karisa and John said...

That is devastating. John told me about it after he talked with Charles on the phone the other day. We are so sorry for what all 3 of you are going through now. I know it'll take some time to heal (in all ways), but you'll get through this. Sorry again for your loss.

sunnysnows said...

I'm so sorry, Val! We love you and hope you heal soon. *Hugs*

Brooklyn said...

Definitely praying for you guys. I love you!

Phairforce said...

:-( I'm glad you are feeling better though. Feeling sick = lame. And that's lame with a capitol L. :-)

Jessie said...

Oh Valerie, I am so sorry. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. :(